Saturday, June 16, 2012

Obladee Oblada Life Goes On

Sometimes, we make changes by choice and other times they are thrust upon us. This last year has been a bit of both for me. The biggest changes were leaving my job of 10 years for an opportunity to work closer to home and the other was losing one of my cats, Gabbana. The job change took about a year to make happen, and while I try to keep my business out of my blog, it was a necessary move and one that has had some interesting and unexpected side-effects. The biggest difference is I have more time at home for crafting and friends (well, most of the time - I'm in the middle of a huge project, so my personal time is not my own - in fact I am monitoring the work email as I type). It's definitely been nice to be able to see friends after work and not be so exhausted on the weekends that I just cloister myself. The loss of Gabbana has been really hard for me. She was a tortoise-shell cat, and skittish by nature, but would come to me when she wanted some love. She usually sat at my feet while I sewed or on top of the floor cushions when I was at the computer. She was always where I could see her, and sometimes, I feel like I still do out of the corner of my eye. She's the first pet that I've had from kittenhood until death. I still feel funny when people ask me how many cats I have, "I had two but recently lost one," sounds like I am fishing for sympathy, which I am not. I just still want to be able to honor her and how much I adored having her around. There are not enough words to say how much I enjoyed having her as my companion of nearly 15 years, and how much I miss her and her purr on a daily basis. I know I am not the only one missing her, since I have been watching her sister, Dolce, hiding where Gabbana hid when she got sick or when she didn't want to be around people. It's only the last day or so that Dolce has seemed more like herself again (i.e. - waiting for me at the door and not immediately running away when she sees me). Together the two of them got me through some rough times, and I am forever grateful to have had Gabbana in my life.

No comments: